fluid-work IRC Logs-2013-07-15

[07:32:59 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: I've attached some new files to GPII-122: High and low contrast images. Let me know if there are any issues with those.

[07:45:41 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung thanks will check it out

[08:47:32 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> anastasiac, cindyli, heidiv, jhung_afk, michelled: would you like to meet and discuss the demo sprint

[08:47:44 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> sure

[08:47:49 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> sure

[08:48:01 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> yzen: ^^^

[08:48:13 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> sure

[08:48:19 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> yes, indeedy

[08:48:49 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> looks like jhung_afk stepped away for a bit so lets give him some time and try to for 10am

[09:21:43 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> anastasiac, cindyli, heidiv, jhung_afk, michelled, yzen: would you be able meet now to talk about where we're at with the demo sprint

[09:21:51 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> yep

[09:22:06 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> lets do it

[09:22:23 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yes

[09:22:29 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> for those in the office let's meet up in the colabroom.. and we'll Skype in anyone remote

[09:35:01 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> heidiv: http://www.w3.org/TR/html-longdesc/

[09:35:31 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> vjoanna: are you able to join us in the collab room briefly?

[09:38:32 CDT(-0500)] <vjoanna> michelled: sure

[09:55:52 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> http://webaim.org/techniques/images/longdesc

[10:01:30 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> http://caniuse.com/#search=details

[10:02:18 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> http://html5doctor.com/the-details-and-summary-elements/

[10:03:05 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/interactive-elements.html

[10:16:51 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> http://html5-demos.appspot.com/static/html5-whats-new/template/index.html#5

[10:17:05 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Got the link from here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details

[11:41:31 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> yzen: perhaps after lunch you can pair up with cindyli and me to get the schema work done

[11:42:00 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> Justin_o: definitely, asa i get home?

[11:45:30 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> yzen: sure

[12:16:14 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> so ramil, I'm checking out your full-page UIO. The page itself is displaying "The requested page "/Floe/source/drupal-uio/uio_full_page" could not be found." Is that what you're seeing?

[12:17:26 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> nope

[12:17:51 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> is this maybe a file that didn't get committed by accident?

[12:17:51 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> hold on

[12:18:02 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> i think its a cache issue

[12:18:16 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> go to configuration>performance>clear all cache

[12:19:38 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda> Justin_o: hi

[12:20:54 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ok, ramil, I'm seeing the full page with the headers, but no controls. Without any further investigation, it seems that the individual templates for the controls (one per section) are not being loaded. There are no errors, so it looks like it's not even bothering to try… hm...

[12:21:20 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> ok do you know which those files are?

[12:21:42 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> i might not have registered them with hook_library

[12:25:57 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, they're in the same folder as the full-page template, in the components/uiOptions/html/ folder.

[12:26:14 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil: UIOptionsTemplate-*.html

[12:26:17 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> Justin_o: hi

[12:26:54 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> Justin_o: cindyli any time

[12:27:00 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> oh ok, i think those ones don't need to be registered because MyInfusion.js takes care of loading those files, am i right?

[12:28:33 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> yzen: skype?

[12:28:42 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> sounds good

[12:30:06 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> Justin_o: I was working on displaying transcripts by default in FluidPlayer. You had told me to set displayTranscripts: true. However, doing that shows the transcript panel by default when the page loads but it doesn't load the transcript file. You can see an example here (http://abhinavkops.comyr.com/mancoolgunda/flowplayer/fluidplayer.php)

[12:31:39 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, right: the script should load those files. It doesn't seem to be bothering to try to load them (they're not loading, and there are no errors saying it tried) so the first question is: why not?

[12:33:24 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o i sent a pull for 118 https://github.com/GPII/prefsEditors/pull/1

[12:34:28 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> mancoolgunda1: hmm.. perhaps anastasiac might have a better suggestion

[12:34:38 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: thanks i'll take a look at that shortly

[12:34:52 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> anastasiac, I actually couldn't get the full page example to work, can you try the example and tell me if it works

[12:36:16 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> hm. mancoolgunda1, Justin_o: I think you may have hit on a bug in the VP, possibly. It looks like the VP doesn't have a default language specified, so when you set displayTranscripts to true, it successfully displays the selected language, which is none (smile) If you display transcripts by choosing English from the menu, it does work

[12:36:37 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> so in addition to setting displayTranscripts to true, you need to identify a default language

[12:36:53 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> yes, so is there way I can specify the default language also?

[12:37:13 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> mancoolgunda1, do you mean in the initial configuration? or programmatically?

[12:38:52 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> mancoolgunda1, if you add the following to your initial configuration (where you set displayTranscripts: true) it should choose the first language in the list as the default:

[12:38:55 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> currentTracks: {

[12:38:55 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> captions: [],

[12:38:56 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> transcripts: []

[12:38:57 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> },

[12:39:07 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> so suppose I wanted to display english transcripts by default, so I have set displayTranscripts:true, so this makes the transcript panel to show, now I need to load the english transcript file by default

[12:39:18 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> sorry, those empty arrays should have "0" in them (zero)

[12:39:58 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> ok let me try

[12:40:19 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> mancoolgunda1, like this:

[12:40:22 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> model: {

[12:40:23 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> currentTracks: {

[12:40:24 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> captions: [0],

[12:40:26 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> transcripts: [0]

[12:40:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> },

[12:40:28 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> displayTranscripts: true,

[12:40:29 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> }

[12:40:33 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> cool I got it.

[12:44:04 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> anastasiac: It worked. Is there any way by which I can make captions also appear by default?

[12:44:15 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> displayCaptions: true

[12:44:18 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> should do it

[12:45:18 CDT(-0500)] <mancoolgunda1> anastasiac: thanks a lot

[12:45:26 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> np

[12:46:56 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, I'm not sure which version of Infusion you're using. where can I check that? Is there a read me in the libraries folder showing which checkout you used?

[12:47:11 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> its the one that you emailed me

[12:47:20 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> its the latest one i think

[12:48:14 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> i actually uploaded it to my github: https://github.com/ramil-g/fluid1.5

[12:48:29 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, how did you try to get the demo working?

[12:48:29 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> i actually uploaded it to my github: https://github.com/ramil-g/fluid1.5

[12:48:33 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ah

[12:48:49 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> i followed this: https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion/blob/master/src/webapp/tests/manual-tests/ReadMe.txt

[12:49:00 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> which basically just says to open that html file

[12:50:07 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ah, but those instructions are referring to the html files in the manual-tests folder. You can't open the templates in the components/uiOptions/html file directly

[12:50:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> perhaps we should clarify those instructions (smile)

[12:51:15 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ok, ramil, I'm still stepping through your page to see what the trouble is. It's definitely not trying to load the templates. It's loading templates, but those pages are not in the list of things to load, and they should be. Investigating...

[13:13:48 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> anastasiac, does the full page uio work with regular html?

[13:14:02 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> yes, it should be fine. You can see it here:

[13:14:17 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> http://build.fluidproject.org/infusion/tests/manual-tests/html/uiOptionsFullWithoutPreview.html

[13:15:21 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> how come this one works, but the other one you said you cant open directly?

[13:15:58 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, that demo is opening the html file in the manual-tests/html folder

[13:16:03 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, I think I've found the problem

[13:16:10 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> what is it?

[13:16:51 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> it's a demo page that loads the templates, just like your drupal site loads the templates. The file in the components/uiOptions/html folder is just a template. It doesn't have any scripts in it

[13:17:02 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, the problem with your site is this:

[13:17:21 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> you've updated the Infusion, so UIO has a new API. You need to update your code to use the new API

[13:17:35 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> which part?

[13:17:40 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> it sucks that we don't have any documentation for this yet, but it's changing pretty quickly

[13:17:54 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> if you look at the code in that manual-tests page, you'll see what needs to be updated

[13:18:23 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> where you use "fluid.uiOptions.defaultTemplateLoader" and other grade names, the grade names have changed

[13:19:23 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> so that particular grade needs to change to "fluid.uiOptions.starterTemplateLoader", for example

[13:19:54 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, can you see the code in the demo on the build site?

[13:20:12 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> ye

[13:20:15 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> yes

[13:20:35 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> are you talking about a specific js file?

[13:21:16 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> uiOptionsFullPage.js?

[13:22:48 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, yes, that's the one

[13:24:28 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> ok ill try to update my code and see what happens

[13:35:52 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> anastasiac, i still get the same thing

[13:36:21 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, could you commit and push, so I can have a look?

[13:39:41 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> anastasiac, i pushed it

[13:39:47 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> k

[13:41:34 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ok, ramil, we're making progress (smile) Can you see in the Firebug console that the templates are actually being loaded now?

[13:41:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Hey Justin_o, do you know if "new UIO" supports touch events yet?

[13:41:58 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> yes i do see it

[13:42:42 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> colinclark: i think cindyli got that in

[13:43:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> cool

[13:43:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> anastasiac: Perhaps that news will be interesting to Geoffrey Shea, too

[13:43:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> that the next version of UIO will indeed support touch events

[13:44:57 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> colinclark: this is the commit it got merged in on https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion/commit/b6ea32a4b4c91b0c2b8bf1ac16d81bca9e2760e8

[13:45:02 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> right, colinclark, I should have checked that and mentioned it. I should be multi-tasking less… (sad)

[13:59:09 CDT(-0500)] <ramil> anastasiac, any other code i need to change?

[13:59:25 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ramil, hang on, I'm in a meeting

[14:00:52 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: ping

[14:09:44 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv, jhung: i'm looking at the pull request for GPII-118 right now..

[14:09:52 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> thanks

[14:10:03 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> thanks Justin_o

[14:10:06 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> just had a couple of questiosn

[14:10:08 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> questions

[14:10:14 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> for try something new you have an aria-label on the arrow.. isn't this just presentational

[14:10:29 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> can't remember off the top of my head what we said we would do for pressntational font icons.. maybe it was nothing

[14:14:41 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv, jhung^

[14:14:46 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Justin_o: looking now.

[14:14:52 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Research+of+viability+of+using+icon+fonts+in+UI+Options

[14:15:04 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> i remember we talked about this somewhere, but can't remember now

[14:15:16 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> about 1/2 down we talk about presentaiton-only icons.

[14:15:32 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o we could remove it there, though i think i put it in because it signified it would open a panel below

[14:16:57 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> jhung: i can't seem to find on that page, how to markup presentational only icons..

[14:17:29 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> We didn't decide on an approach it sems Justin_o.

[14:17:44 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: i guess we are debating if it is presentational or not

[14:17:49 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> jhung: okay..

[14:17:55 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> There wasn't a clear "good" way to do it.

[14:18:12 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o right, so i do't think it's just presentational

[14:19:06 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Can we give it a role="presentation"?

[14:19:10 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: okay.. what information should it convey to a screen reader user for example that it provides only for a sited user?

[14:19:51 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> jhung: i think so… although in cases where it is tab focusable i think that didn't work.. but the fact that it is a PUA should prevent a screen reader from attempting to read it

[14:21:30 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Justin_o: but currently there's no harm in putting role presentation on it. So I would probably think we should do at least that.

[14:22:30 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> jhung: okay.. we can do that.. but i guess we need to decide if it is presentational or not..

[14:22:35 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> first

[14:23:55 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> jhung, heidiv: i think i can go either way on this, but if it is more than presentational i think we need a better label

[14:24:12 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Justin_o: I think so since the arrow itself doesn't convey any meaning for "Try something new".

[14:24:30 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> okay, heidiv what do you think?

[14:25:28 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> It references something spatial which doesn't necessarily mean the same space depending on the AT.

[14:31:54 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o for the demo, the arrow means nothing

[14:32:00 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> cos those links don't work

[14:32:08 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> so let's make it role="pres"

[14:32:26 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> if it was a real, functioning site, that arrow would mean something like "open sub menu"

[14:32:38 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> i'll update the pull req. sound ok jhung?

[14:33:01 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> sounds good heidiv

[14:34:00 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o i'm confused tho - the demo menu shouldn't be in 118

[14:34:05 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> shouldn't be any demo

[14:34:27 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: i'm confused too.. which arrow are we talking about ?

[14:34:30 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> oh, sorry, i got confused. the "try something" arrow

[14:34:36 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: yep

[14:34:39 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> yeah that's pres

[14:34:40 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> sorry

[14:34:48 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> (smile)

[14:35:17 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> jhung: which arrow were you taking about?

[14:35:46 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> I was talking about the "Try something new" arrow Justin_o

[14:38:19 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o updated

[14:38:24 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> sorry i confused it there

[14:39:55 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: (smile) no problem.. thanks for the update

[14:44:22 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: for the button maybe we can use the aria-labelledby attribute instead of aria-label since we have the label element that goes along with it https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Accessibility/ARIA/ARIA_Techniques/Using_the_aria-labelledby_attribute

[14:45:40 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> i guess you are already using the for attribute on the label, so even this might not be needed

[14:45:50 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> any thoughts

[14:46:14 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o seems redundant to cross-ref the label

[14:46:18 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> not sure tho

[14:46:49 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: i guess we can leave it for now..

[14:46:58 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o k

[14:48:13 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o vjoanna was going to look into the contrast issue between the label text and background

[14:48:30 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> forgot about that till now. any changes vjoanna? it doesn't current satisfy a11y reqs for contrast

[14:52:21 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: looking at GPII-118 panel, looks good although the animation on the first time it opens isn't quite right.. maybe because of the iframe

[14:53:16 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o you're right, it sort of pops open the first time, vs slides. maybe it's something we could file a jira for afterwards

[14:53:16 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> ?

[14:54:25 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: sounds good.. i'll be merging in the pull request in a minute

[14:54:37 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o thoughts on contrast issue?

[14:55:10 CDT(-0500)] <vjoanna> heidiv: yes, I increased the contrast on the labels to white against the grey: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/download/attachments/34581187/DT_panel-styling.jpg?version=3&amp;modificationDate=1373407325459 should i specify the styling on the wiki?

[14:56:08 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> vjoanna ok so they are always white, even w hover/focus?

[14:56:25 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: the pull request is in

[14:56:56 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o ok we can file another jira to change the contrast

[14:57:02 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> thanks

[14:57:22 CDT(-0500)] <vjoanna> heidiv: yes, but on hover/focus the labels get a drop-shadow

[14:57:38 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> ok thanks vjoanna i'll file a jira to make those changes

[14:57:52 CDT(-0500)] <vjoanna> okay, thanks heidiv

[15:02:28 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv, cindyli, yzen, anastasiac, jhung, michelled: all the GPII-118 changes have been pulled into the fluid-project repo

[15:02:39 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> yay!

[15:03:06 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> (smile)

[15:07:29 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: hello.. i'm about to leave but cindyli and yzen are looking at the schema work right now

[15:07:50 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Hi Justin_o

[15:08:25 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: we've also made some changes to fix up some other issues.. but we have run into a problem at the moment with what looks to be the components block of the options not merging

[15:09:37 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: i only have about 5 minutes personally, although i think cindyli and yzen will be around a bit longer.. i wasn't quite sure what you wanted us to do with splitting the builder up

[15:10:16 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - the component which has responsibility for bundling together separate grades into a single, instantiable configuration of UIO is not part of the "builder"

[15:10:21 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> But should be packaged as a separate component

[15:10:31 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Although I think cindyli was clear about this issue - did you talk to her about it?

[15:10:49 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: should it take the builder in as a grade?

[15:11:00 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - no, only the builder's products

[15:11:10 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> It should be possible for someone who didn't use the builder to use it to instantiate a UIO

[15:11:15 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Or a UIE, or whatever

[15:11:20 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: ah i see

[15:11:33 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: i wasn't sure what we'd get from that

[15:11:38 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> but i guess i understand now

[15:12:25 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: so technically could it take the builder as a grade to provide the parts it needs

[15:12:52 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - I don't see how it can

[15:13:10 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I guess this is part of the long-running initiative to separate the idea of the "builder" from its "products"

[15:13:13 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: i guess i don't understand what the structure of it would be.. the api that is

[15:13:18 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> That I am as keen about now as I was last month : P

[15:14:12 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: it sounds like a user would have to manually make a couple of function calls and wire up these pieces together themselves

[15:14:26 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> wouldn't' that be more work

[15:14:32 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> ?

[15:14:39 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - the purpose of this new component, let us call it the "constructor", is to prevent them from having to do this

[15:15:00 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> This is the thing that, given just a structure with grade names in the right places, will produce a particular UIO configuration

[15:15:04 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: would it also instantiate the uio stack or just generate the grade

[15:15:05 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> ?

[15:15:16 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> And yes, the builder can "help" by producing a structure with the appropriate form

[15:15:27 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> but that structure wouldn't in fact "be" the builder, just one of its products

[15:15:34 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: currently the builder doesn't instantiate a component it only creates grades

[15:16:15 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - yes, and it is the final process of "grade construction" that I think we want split off

[15:16:26 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> The piece that creates the final "one stop shop grade" from the separate grades

[15:17:28 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: okay… but how would it get the grade names that it is to assemble?

[15:17:44 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - it would accept a JSON structure describing them

[15:18:01 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> One which the builder could assemble automatically, but which the user could also assemble manually

[15:18:23 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: sure, that's basically the constructedGrades object i have right?

[15:18:45 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - it might be - could you send a link to the latest work?

[15:19:40 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: https://github.com/jobara/infusion/blob/FLUID-4907/src/webapp/components/uiOptions/js/Builder.js

[15:22:34 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - yes - it may just be a matter of moving ""fluid.uiOptions.builder.uie" and ""fluid.uiOptions.builder.uio" into a separate namespace to make it clear that they don't depend on the rest of the "Builder" infrastructure

[15:22:49 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> But it just wasn't clear to me "by eye" what was the expected structure in the "constructedGrades" record

[15:23:38 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> This may just be a matter of naming and documentation (smile)

[15:24:26 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> And perhaps the name "constructedGrades" is what biases the reader to imagine that what is in it MUST have been "constructed" by the UIO Builder

[15:24:55 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> If it was given a different name, documented clearly, and put into a separate namespace, they might feel that the invitation was more warm to have had it constructed by other means

[15:25:31 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: ping

[15:26:29 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, pong

[15:26:47 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: sorry for the earlier ping-n-go

[15:26:57 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> np, I was in a meeting, sorry for the lack of response

[15:26:58 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i wanted to tell you about an interesting experience i had

[15:27:13 CDT(-0500)] * anastasiac is hoping "interesting" means good, and not bad

[15:27:21 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i needed to get someone a URL for basic UIO, latest stable release documentation and how-to

[15:27:53 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: what do you think about getting GPII-122 in now too?

[15:27:56 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i had trouble finding such URLs

[15:28:01 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> or is there more work needed on it before it can start to be merged?

[15:28:13 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: i settled on sending this one: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/Infusion14/Working+With+UI+Options+On+Your+Site

[15:28:38 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> interesting

[15:28:40 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> and not good

[15:28:42 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> if you had to hand someone a URL, someone who wants to implement UIO, is that the URL you'd send them to start?

[15:28:54 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: cool that makes sense

[15:29:13 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> for "latest stable release", that would be 1.4 i.e. the old version. I'd start with the fat panel tutorial, probably

[15:29:15 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: i got into an infinite loop by clicking on URLs on the top in the yellow bar

[15:29:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/infusion14/Tutorial+-+Fat+Panel+UI+Options

[15:29:33 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> oh, that's not good

[15:29:34 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o there are a few tweaks but it's in pretty good shape

[15:29:36 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> I'll fix that asap

[15:29:45 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: but 'fat panel tutorial' doesn't scream – if you want to implement UIO, start here

[15:30:09 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> yeah, that's something we're definitely missing: an updated "landing page" for each of our components

[15:30:13 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i would think we'd have to get folks in our documentation door by introducing things to them as new users

[15:30:32 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: can it start to go in now, or does it need the tweaks first.. for example if we didn't close the jira or we opened new ones

[15:30:33 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> yes, new landing pages have been on the "to do" list for a while

[15:31:51 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> so from that URL i pasted in, i click on infusion documentation in the yellow warning to get to the most recent and i wind up with a pink warning message that i'm looking at what could be irrelevant documentation!

[15:38:31 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> Justin_o since i won't be around tomorrow let's get it in now and we can all work off of it, that'd prob be most helpful way to move fwd

[15:38:52 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> i can file jiras for the remaining markup tweaks

[15:40:24 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidiv: cool, can you send a pull request for it.. i'm heading out now but we can check it tomorrow or maybe michelled can take a look at it

[16:12:55 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, sorry for dropping out there, my connection got wonky and I had to reboot

[16:13:03 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> regarding different versions of documentation: we're at a bit of a sticky place right now, and i'm not sure how to address it. Maybe you have some suggestions?

[16:13:14 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> The "latest stable release" of infusion is 1.4, but as far as UIO goes, that's pretty out of date

[16:13:21 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> the "latest" UIO is working in our master branch, but is still being actively developed and its API is changing

[16:13:28 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> for example, we'll be switching to the schema implementation very soon

[16:13:35 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> so 1) the docs for the "latest" version are not yet updated since the API is a moving target

[16:13:42 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> 2) I'm not sure if we should be suggesting people start implementing the UIO in the "latest" master branch, since the API is a moving target

[16:13:57 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> The headers on the different docs spaces were my attempt to convey this, but it obviously didn't work very well (I've now updated them to try to improve them)

[16:14:04 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> any thoughts, jessm?

[16:14:57 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: these sorts of component landing pages sound like a good place to convey all of this

[16:15:40 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: let me ask this. can someone have stable uploader from 1.4 installed and also implement beyond 1.4 uio?

[16:16:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, if they are willing to have two separate versions of Infusion (1.4 for uploader and master for UIO), then yes, it can be done with proper scoping

[16:16:52 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> but the two can't be mixed at this point, I think. I believe the framework has changed too much (but I could be wrong, I'm not sure)

[16:17:39 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> maybe Bosmon can answer your question about whether or not the latest framework would work with a 1.4 uploader integration?

[16:19:04 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: my question is less about the framework, more about the relationship among components, releases, and documentation.

[16:19:23 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> anastasiac - our version isolation should be as good as it always was

[16:20:16 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> Bosmon, has the Uploader API changed from 1.4 in the latest master?

[16:20:29 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> anastasiac - it should conform to the published API

[16:20:37 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Even though it has been rewritten

[16:21:03 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ok, so if I upgrade infusion (i.e. I don't want multiple version) then it should still work without much effort. That's good to know (smile)

[16:21:17 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, could you elaborate on your question a bit?

[16:21:57 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: sure, let me try

[16:22:06 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> and tell me if i do or do not make sense

[16:22:44 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> UIO seems to have outgrown both the latest stable release of Infusion and therefore its latest stable release documentation. is that right?

[16:22:55 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> right, very much so

[16:24:08 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: this seems a very good reason for us to have very good component intro pages because as someone who wants to implement some stuff i might just want to pick-n-choose components (presumably what largely inspired our builder site)

[16:25:16 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> and in my use case, when someone needs to learn how to implement the latest UIO, they'd find a component intro page that succinctly explained what the latest stable was, linked to that doc, explained what the latest latest coolest was, and linked to that documentation

[16:25:35 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> so, in the case of UIO, component-level documentation is pretty darned important

[16:26:01 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> lemme ask this – what is the URL you'd send someone unfamiliar with Infusion who wants to implement the uploader?

[16:26:06 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, ideally yes. Unfortunately, the "latest coolest" stuff is undocumented because it changes faster than the docs could be written (smile) The instructions on how to implement it would have to be "look at the demos"

[16:26:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, the uploader docs are currently adequate, since the API hasn't changed

[16:26:48 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> my comment above about "latest cool stuff" is mostly in relation to UIO and the framework API itself

[16:27:13 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: look at the demos is a legit message to peeps i think – peeps who want latest coolest

[16:27:23 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: can you send me the uploader URL?

[16:28:06 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm: Latest stable release (1.4): http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/Infusion14/Tutorial+-+Uploader

[16:28:26 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> master: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/docs/Tutorial+-+Uploader

[16:28:30 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> the two should be the same

[16:29:11 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> there might be a broken link or two. We have some cleanup to finish after the restructuring

[16:30:27 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> oye

[16:31:53 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> ok

[16:32:01 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> hold on...

[16:32:35 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: from this page http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/docs/How-to+Guides i go to infusion components, uploader, tutorial and i land here http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/Infusion13/Tutorial+-+Uploader which tells me it's 1.3 documentation and points me back to the original page

[16:32:45 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> but we've got a few things going on at once here

[16:32:55 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ok, that's a bug

[16:33:49 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> we're still in the process of updating all the docs, jessm: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Pre-1.5+Docs+Tasks

[16:35:40 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: so, as a user i should be able to see 1.3 documentation, 1.4 documentation, and latest "infusion Documentation" – is that right?

[16:36:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> right, jessm: three separate docs spaces. There are still some bad cross-links between them. We have it on the to-do list to clean that up

[16:37:55 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, I'm running late and have to go - can we pick this up tomorrow?

[16:38:08 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: totally

[16:38:13 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> thanks