fluid-work IRC Logs-2011-03-04

[09:23:39 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> anastasiac i'm converting the idrc site to use fss. think i'm might start a documentation page for notes on doing that. it is sort of an interesting process
[09:24:34 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> heidi_, that would be great. I will also be pinging you soon for help with re-writing the fss docs. You're the local Subject Matter Expert (smile)
[09:24:58 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> heidi_, this site, right? http://idrc.ocad.ca/
[09:25:22 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> anastasiac yep that one, we're re-doing the template for the new version
[09:25:32 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> and are you working on a dev site, or directly on the live site?
[09:25:37 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> i can help with other fss stuff too ya
[09:25:46 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> the dev is at /1.6
[09:26:21 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> ooh, nice!
[09:26:33 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> needs a little spice, but yeah (smile)
[10:01:01 CST(-0600)] <abledaccess> as for uioptions I got to the end of step 3 <http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/UI+Options+and+UI+Enhancer+Tutorial>, everything seems ok, it's doing stuff, but step 4 threw me. Where does that code go? In the initialization script? It won't work for me. Busted city?
[10:01:57 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> hey johnny abledaccess ... step 4 is an extension of the code in step 3... the code grows to include more stuff
[10:02:09 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> let me check the code on the UIO demo
[10:03:19 CST(-0600)] <abledaccess> I thought so, but it doesn't work for me, lemme try again.
[10:04:51 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> abledaccess here is the demo's code: http://fluidproject.org/releases/1.3.1/demos/uiOptions/js/uiOptions.js
[10:05:06 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> for the demo at http://fluidproject.org/releases/1.3.1/demos/uiOptions/html/uiOptions.html
[10:11:19 CST(-0600)] <abledaccess> I'm not sure what I did previously, but it's going differently now. Hope I'm on the right track. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Heidi.
[10:12:43 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> yes keep us posted abledaccess !
[10:13:04 CST(-0600)] <abledaccess> will do
[10:20:31 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> harriswong1: have you talked to mlam and colinclark about uploader stuff before your vacation?
[10:40:17 CST(-0600)] <jessm> fluid-work burp
[10:42:15 CST(-0600)] <jamon_> jessm: ?
[10:42:39 CST(-0600)] <jessm> jamon: ¿
[10:42:43 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> aww i missed talking in standup... but my mic didn't seem to work anyways... I was just going to mention the FSS meeting from yesterday (which went well and I'll be updating the FSS work page) and the uploader meeting that was already mentioned
[10:43:07 CST(-0600)] <jamon> what does this mean jessm? 11:40 < jessm> fluid-work burp
[10:43:19 CST(-0600)] <jessm> jamon: ah, i think we all got kicked out and then re-added
[10:43:24 CST(-0600)] <jessm> not sure why
[10:43:49 CST(-0600)] <jamon> ah: maybe this: 11:31 [freenode] tomaw(tom@freenode/staff/tomaw) [Global Notice] Hi again. As you will have noticed we're having some connectivity problems again this afternoon. We're working with sponsors to rectify it.
[10:43:53 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> it was a net split (smile)
[10:44:14 CST(-0600)] <jessm> ah, yes, that'd explain it!
[10:44:16 CST(-0600)] <jessm> time warp
[10:52:10 CST(-0600)] <harriswong1> justin_o: no not yet. colinclark, mlam, when is the best time to meet?
[10:52:35 CST(-0600)] <mlam> harriswong1: I think whenever colinclark has time (smile)
[10:54:31 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> after lunch
[10:54:34 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> sorry to be so busy
[11:22:25 CST(-0600)] <harriswong1> mlam: I have a question on HTML5 test, do you have a minute?
[11:22:39 CST(-0600)] <mlam> sure, what's up?
[11:24:15 CST(-0600)] <harriswong1> mlam: it's about the eventOrder, in firebug, the files aren't added in sequence and throwing me errors.
[11:25:02 CST(-0600)] <harriswong1> mlam: do you know why that would be the case? It should adds file1,2,3, and now it's adding file2,3,1
[11:25:28 CST(-0600)] <mlam> really?
[11:26:28 CST(-0600)] <mlam> No, I have no idea why it's doing that. It should be iterating through the files in sequential order.
[11:27:39 CST(-0600)] <harriswong1> mlam: Oh wait, nvm. You are right, it's an event with another error code, thanks!
[11:28:22 CST(-0600)] <mlam> Oh ok
[11:31:59 CST(-0600)] <harriswong1> mlam, colinclark: If i have a queue size of 2/3, and trying to add 2 more files to the queue. The 2nd file is a supersized file. Should HTML5 addFiles() fire 2 errors? 1 for queue size fulled, the other for oversized file?
[11:32:55 CST(-0600)] <harriswong1> mlam,colinclark: currently, it fires 2 error. It first fire a queue_limit_exceeded error. THen it fires the file_exceeds_size_error on the 2nd file.
[11:33:56 CST(-0600)] <mlam> I would imagine firing the queue limit is sufficient since it won't be added to the queue anyways. So to continue to check the size of the file doesn't seem necessary to me. colinclark, what do you think?
[11:49:10 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> sorry, in a meeting
[11:49:15 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> i will respond when i get a chance
[12:14:07 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> justin_o one thing that's sort of interesting is fss-layout has a menu class that's put on a <ul>... but for some cmss (joomla at least) i can't add a style at that level. i could put a div around the module... something to think about maybe
[12:15:02 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> heidi_: that's interesting.. i didn't realize that cms's would prevent you from styling certain elements
[12:15:04 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> justin_o actually... maybe it doesn't have to be on ul. ignore that i think ha ha. tgif
[12:15:18 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> yeah, something to keep in mind
[12:15:24 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> (wink)
[12:16:23 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> heidi_: i have a question.. those bullet points you have under the jira names... on the fss work page
[12:16:27 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> did you get those from jira
[12:16:33 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> or do they need to go back there
[12:16:45 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> mm... i think it was just me jotting
[12:16:47 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> not in jiras
[12:17:24 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> heidi_: okay.. i'm restructuring the page.. did you want to or i can, migrate those comments to jira..
[12:17:37 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> i can easily copy and paste them up
[12:17:52 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> i don't think they're that important
[12:18:07 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> if you think something is, maybe add to jira but generally i don't think it's a big deal
[12:18:20 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> they were just quick notes
[12:20:37 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> heidi_: okay.. thanks.. if we do need something we can always go back and look at the wiki history
[12:20:46 CST(-0600)] <heidi_> yeah that's good
[13:32:03 CST(-0600)] <michelled> justin_o, fluid-everyone: the jquery ui accordion was only ever used in the demos and examples of UI Options. The redesign does not have an accordion. Do you think it's ok for me to remove it from lib?
[13:32:41 CST(-0600)] <michelled> the drawback of removing it is that if someone was depending on us bringing in the accordion, their code will break
[13:32:53 CST(-0600)] <michelled> the plus is that we decrease the size of our download
[13:33:01 CST(-0600)] <michelled> and remove things from the repo that we don't use
[13:34:24 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled: if I'm not mistaken, it was never really part of ui options... just something for the demo of it?
[13:34:32 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> so i would say no, if that's the case
[13:35:31 CST(-0600)] <michelled> well, it's not an API change for UI Options, but I wonder if it's an API change for the InfusionAll file. if that makes sense
[13:35:42 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> anastasiac: i've updated the Release Process - Post the Release page for updating the website demos... it seems that you have this section on two pages though.. as it is also on the Release Process - Code Freeze and QA page..
[13:35:47 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> should it be removed from the later page
[13:36:05 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled: I think i understand where you're going with this
[13:36:26 CST(-0600)] * anastasiac has a look
[13:37:12 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled: I think we came into another situation like this, can't remember what off the top of my head though
[13:37:27 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled: but i feel like we decided not to worry about.. hmm.. what was it..
[13:37:32 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> Justin_o, where on the Code Freeze page are the posting instructions?
[13:38:01 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> no where.. at least not yet, there's a heading at the bottom of the page though
[13:38:09 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> that says Update the Demos on the Website
[13:38:38 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> gotcha, thanks. I missed that
[13:38:52 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> and thanks for the info on the Posting page
[13:39:15 CST(-0600)] <michelled> justin_o: I think we should remove it and be really clear about that change in the release notes
[13:39:58 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> anastasiac: np
[13:40:11 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> i'll try to get the rest of the doc work you asked me for done today too
[13:40:16 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> thanks
[13:40:31 CST(-0600)] <michelled> justin_o, anastasiac: I think we should alter the readme (release notes) to list the actual jquery UI widgets that we depend on
[13:41:10 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled: i think that makes sense, I'd like to avoid having people rely on us to bring in 3rd party code that we ourselves don't depend on
[13:41:41 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> sounds good
[13:42:12 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> michelled, my 4120 branch (where the new release notes are) is shared - do you want to try drafting that?
[13:42:30 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled, anastasiac: I wonder how necessary that will be when we move to using the builder more
[13:43:09 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> we should maybe modularize those a bit more too
[13:43:26 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> so as not to give people a bunch of jquery ui widgets they don't need
[13:44:13 CST(-0600)] <michelled> justin_o: I agree
[13:44:18 CST(-0600)] <michelled> anastasiac: sure
[13:46:11 CST(-0600)] <michelled> fluid-everyone: we've decided to remove the accordion from the lib folder and mention it in the release notes. we've also decided to modify the release notes to state exactly which jquery UI widgets we use. speak up now if you disagree. (smile)
[13:46:27 CST(-0600)] * jessm not speaking
[13:46:34 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> +1
[13:54:48 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> anastasiac: i've updated http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Release+Process+-+Code+Freeze+and+QA with a testing tasks section
[13:56:39 CST(-0600)] <michelled> justin_o: git newbie question: I've cloned someone's fork and I want to pull a particular branch down into a branch of the same name. how do I do that?
[13:59:12 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> Justin_o, thanks
[13:59:32 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled: I think you will have to do something like this... git clone forkRepo, if you do a git branch -a and don't see the branch you want at all.. do git fetch origin.. then git checkout origin/branchYouWant... this will checkout the code, but there still isn't a branch.. so you can do git checkout -b branchName
[13:59:41 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> this will create the branch in your space...
[13:59:51 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> hmm.. i think there's an easier way.. hold on a second
[14:01:00 CST(-0600)] <michelled> looks like git co branchname did it
[14:01:50 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> yes.. sorry you're right you don't have to create a branch off of it
[14:02:00 CST(-0600)] <michelled> thanks
[14:03:28 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> michelled, anastasiac: i'm going to head off now... did you need anything from me before I leave
[14:04:13 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> I'm good, justin_o. I hope you're feeling better soon, and I hope you have a good weekend
[14:04:36 CST(-0600)] <michelled> nope, see you Monday
[14:05:22 CST(-0600)] <justin_o> anastasiac, michelled: thanks... i'm already feeling better than i did this morning.. see you monday
[14:29:42 CST(-0600)] <michelled> colinclark: 4131 is now complete - should I push it up to the infusion project repo?
[14:29:50 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> yay
[14:29:53 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> +1, michelled
[14:30:03 CST(-0600)] <michelled> thx
[15:27:35 CST(-0600)] <michelled> anastasiac: I don't think I have write perms on your 4120 branch so I've attached a patch
[15:27:43 CST(-0600)] <michelled> to the JIRA that is
[15:27:54 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> ok, great - thanks. sorry about the error
[15:28:15 CST(-0600)] <michelled> it's no problem - patches are still a relevant part of our work flow (smile)
[15:52:05 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> anastasiac: The way I read your chart, MindTouch or Wordpress both look like pretty compelling options for us
[15:52:51 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> yes, I'm hoping this chart can narrow things down so that we can focus more serious evaluation efforts on a very short list
[15:53:48 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> If I were to build that short list just from a casual glance, MT and WP would be it, I think
[15:53:55 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> What's your personal shortlist look like, anastasiac?
[15:55:45 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> those two are on it, though I still have lots of questions about MindTouch (luckily, someone from MindTouch has been emailing me to see if I have any questions (smile)
[15:56:07 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> I see advantages to docbook, but possibly not enough to outweigh the disadvantages
[15:56:44 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> other "source-in-git" options are appealing, but I recognize the barrier to community contributions
[16:03:27 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> What's appealing about those options, to you, anastasiac?
[16:04:17 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> the behind-the-scenes management and maintenance is simplified: docs can be updated as development goes, without "polluting" the public docs
[16:05:28 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Does WordPress' ability to stage things help with that?
[16:07:52 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> colinclark, yes, it does. the wordpress site would be the staging area; stable docs are produced from the database at release time
[16:08:55 CST(-0600)] <anastasiac> sorry, I've got to head out - I've got a date tonight (wink)