fluid-work IRC Logs-2011-03-02

[08:20:32 CST(-0600)] <jessm> jamon: i haven't gotten a daily update email from the wiki in an age – can you check on those please?
[08:44:21 CST(-0600)] <jamon> jessm: i have no idea where those are set or triggered, but i can find out
[08:44:36 CST(-0600)] <jessm> jamon: that would be great, thanks
[08:44:52 CST(-0600)] <jessm> i'm curious if the wiki is performing faster for folks in TO
[08:47:55 CST(-0600)] <jamon> me too
[09:26:41 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> fluid-everyone: was just chatting with golam and we came across this
[09:26:42 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> https://github.com/blog/626-announcing-svn-support
[09:27:04 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> so apparently you can use your github repo as an external in svn
[09:27:14 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> i wonder if we should setup some externals in our svn repo
[09:28:28 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> also this is a bit interesting.. but maybe a bit dangerous https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support
[09:30:09 CST(-0600)] <michelled> yura_: did you end up pushing directly from git to svn yet?
[09:30:28 CST(-0600)] <yura_> michelled: no, i wasnt able to because of the commit logs
[09:30:31 CST(-0600)] <michelled> you might fine Justin_o's links above interesting
[09:30:35 CST(-0600)] <michelled> find
[09:32:10 CST(-0600)] <jessm> jamon: you skyping me and Iris in?
[09:50:16 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> mlam: hey mike, for file object in uploader, the filename is called file.fileName right
[09:51:12 CST(-0600)] <mlam> harriswong: no, it's actually just file.name
[09:51:52 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> mlam: thanks!
[09:51:56 CST(-0600)] <mlam> np
[10:16:53 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: I must be missing something, but for fileQueueError from http://demo.swfupload.org/Documentation, i am not getting file object when error code is QUEUE_LIMIT_EXCEEDED (-100)
[10:17:20 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> harriswong: Maybe there is a bug in SWFUpload. What arguments are you getting?
[10:17:25 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: null
[10:17:36 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Okay
[10:19:13 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> So, harriswong, one of the things you need to know, as background, is the SWFUpload is really terrible. (wink)
[10:19:20 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> ExternalCall.FileQueueError(this.fileQueueError_Callback, this.ERROR_CODE_QUEUE_LIMIT_EXCEEDED, null, queue_slots_remaining.toString());
[10:19:53 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> That's the line of code where they call the fileQueueError, which is equivalent to our onQueueError (or whatever you renamed it to)
[10:21:05 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> It hasn't, for the record, been fixed in their latest release
[10:21:57 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Which we wouldn't be able to upgrade to anyway, since it bloated from 16 KB to 185 KB between version 2.2.0 and 2.5.0
[10:22:07 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> So, let's see if there's anything we can do to get the information ourselves
[10:22:10 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> it shouldn't be hard
[10:22:18 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: From that line of code, it seems like the [file object] is set to null purposely.
[10:22:49 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: k, all i need is the file name so that they can be added to the expanded info box.
[10:24:31 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: I also notice in IE8 (flash), when I tried to upload 5 files (when queue limit is 3 for instance), the first 2 weren't added to the queue.
[10:24:56 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: all 5 are rejected with a message coming back: Selected Files (5) exceeds remaining Queue size (3).
[10:25:28 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: on FF (html5), the first 3 will be added; then the exceeded 2 will be added to the Error.
[10:27:08 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> harriswong: SWFUpload is really, really terrible
[10:27:56 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Yes, looking at the implementation, that's exactly what they do
[10:27:58 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> And it's insane
[10:28:26 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> So, when they're processing files added by the user from the Browse dialog, they do the following...
[10:28:45 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Check if the length of the added files is larger than the number of queue slots remaining
[10:28:47 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: One way to address, i think, is that we can add all the file names to the error since swf is rejecting all of them anyway.
[10:29:44 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Unfortunately, looking more at the code and thinking about it, we're more doomed than that, harriswong
[10:32:05 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> So, if SWFUpload finds that the length of files added is larger than the remaining slots, they just bail
[10:32:05 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> they
[10:32:08 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> as you say
[10:32:15 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> do nothing at all, except for throwing the error
[10:32:21 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> and of course this happens very early
[10:32:32 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> before we've ever actually met the files personally
[10:32:45 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> So, in SWFUpload's world, we just don't even know
[10:32:58 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> they fire the error and leave us completely in the dark about the files themselves
[10:33:04 CST(-0600)] <jhung> standuppery.
[10:33:09 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> It's completely insane, harriswong
[10:33:14 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> jhung: Justin_o's just getting us set up
[10:33:16 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> we'll be there
[10:33:45 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> colinclark: interesting, so the files don't have a chance to pass through the gate and got slaughtered before entering...completely erased from existance...
[10:33:51 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> yep
[10:33:55 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> At least as far as we are concerned, yes
[10:34:04 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> We have two options
[10:34:08 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> and one of them I really, really don't like
[10:34:14 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> 1. Fork SWFUpload and fix these insane bugs
[10:34:33 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> 2. Work around SWFUpload's incompetence with some less-than-ideal user interface
[10:34:41 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> remember that SWFUpload is, fortunately, deprecated
[10:34:48 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> I'll have to think a little bit about this
[10:34:56 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> +1 on 2. because it's deprecated, and we are moving towards html5 soon.
[10:58:55 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> harriswong: That's what I'm thinking, too
[10:58:56 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> W
[10:59:10 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> We should chat with jameswy about what sort of minimal UI we can present to the user in this case
[11:04:33 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> harriswong, mlam: was just talking to colinclark about the swfupload file limit issue... I was suggesting that it might be possible to leave the number of files open in swfupload and manage the limits in our code.. so you would be able to add as many files as you want, but then our uploader code would automatically remove extra files from the queue
[11:04:49 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Brilliant idea, Justin_o
[11:06:17 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> The code might ultimately resemble (and perhaps be shared with) what we do in the HTML5 strategy
[11:08:42 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> colinclark: code reuse would be a nice bonus
[11:09:12 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> Justin_o, colinclark: yea, i think that would work, since the control is back onto our end, and we just have to fire the event ourselves.
[11:15:05 CST(-0600)] <mlam> When we remove extra files from the queue, will the error be silent in the HTML5 version?
[11:24:16 CST(-0600)] <harriswong> mlam: i don't think so. I think the HTML5 version should not be affected.
[11:30:50 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> harriswong: +1
[13:37:29 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Hey fluid-everyone: Does anyone have any agenda items for today's dev meeting?
[13:37:38 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> So far, Justin_o and I don't have a whole lot
[13:37:43 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> So we can chat about stuff if there's stuff
[13:37:51 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> and otherwise we should all have lots to do
[13:38:04 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Anyone got anything on their mind?
[13:39:22 CST(-0600)] <jessm> colinclark: is there an update on release process?
[13:40:35 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> jessm: Good question. Anastasia could probably give us an update on that
[13:40:38 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> but I don't see her here
[13:41:12 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> colinclark, jessm : I think she is unavailable this afternoon
[13:41:28 CST(-0600)] <jessm> yes, i think that's what she mentioned
[13:41:50 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> ok, cool
[13:41:59 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> jessm: Do you have anything exciting to chat about for a dev meeting?
[13:42:42 CST(-0600)] <jessm> i always have exciting things to say!
[13:43:00 CST(-0600)] <jessm> but i'm not sure it warrants a dev. mtg.
[14:03:26 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Okay, seems like no has much, so we'll do a dev meeting next week
[14:04:02 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> colinclark: okay.. thanks
[14:07:57 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> colinclark: oh i just thought of something i wanted to talk about.. although it isn't really important enough for a dev meeting
[14:08:15 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> wanted to know if people thought we should setup externals to our git repos in our svn repo
[14:08:23 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> for those who still want to use svn to get our code?
[14:08:46 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> I really thought that was an April Fool's joke
[14:10:05 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> (smile)
[14:10:08 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> i wasn't sure
[14:10:15 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> but the update says it really works
[14:10:24 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> I have to try it i guess
[14:13:36 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> jamon: the wiki seems to be performing about the same as it had been
[14:27:37 CST(-0600)] <jamon> Justin_o: that's so strange. mind checking from home and letting me know how it is there?
[14:29:23 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> jamon: i'll try to remember to do that tonight.. i have basketball tonight so i'll be getting home late, and may not turn on my computer (smile)
[14:30:04 CST(-0600)] <jamon> k, no worries, i can watch from my place
[14:37:51 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> jamon: i asked jameswy to try from home tonight if he gets a chance too
[14:37:54 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> actually
[14:38:03 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> jhung: can you try the wiki and see how it is performing for you
[14:45:57 CST(-0600)] <heidi> jamon the wiki is really fast for me at home, but slow here
[14:46:53 CST(-0600)] <jamon> that seems to be fairly consistent for everyone heidi, at least now i know where to look
[15:00:29 CST(-0600)] <justin_o__> colinclark: I've pushed my branch with the jslint comments to my github fork
[15:00:29 CST(-0600)] <justin_o__> https://github.com/jobara/infusion/blob/FLUID-4126/src/webapp/framework/core/js/Fluid.js
[15:00:36 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> jameswy: Are you willing to be a GSoC mentor for the "accessible visualizations with HTML5 and Infusion" idea we had at the last dev meeting? Seems right up your alley
[15:00:48 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> I can give you some backup in terms of code stuff
[15:00:57 CST(-0600)] <justin_o__> The top of the file is getting a bit crowded with comments, but i guess that's okay.. i'm going to push it up to the main project repo soon
[15:01:05 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> justin_o__: Cool, I'll take a quick look
[15:01:11 CST(-0600)] <justin_o__> colinclark: thanks
[15:02:24 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> Looks good to me
[15:03:24 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> justin_o__: Would you be willing to mentor a GSoC student for the "Image Editing with Canvas, HTML5 and Infusion" project we thought of at the dev meeting?
[15:04:32 CST(-0600)] <justin_o__> colinclark: sure.. i guess i'll have to read up on it a bit, but i don't mind
[15:04:42 CST(-0600)] <colinclark> ok
[15:07:27 CST(-0600)] <jhung> justin_o: sorry I missed your message.
[15:07:33 CST(-0600)] <jhung> The wiki has been good here.
[15:12:52 CST(-0600)] <Justin_o> jhung: thanks, jamon ^
[15:14:09 CST(-0600)] <jameswy> colinclark: Yeap, totally.
[15:14:34 CST(-0600)] <jamon> jhung, Justin_o, consistent behaviour, thanks for checking