Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

[09:19:03 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: we should come up with a plan about what do if we don't get any responses for our various FSS related e-mail to the fluid-work list
[09:20:23 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> Justin_o yeah, i think we'll prob have to send out something similar for clearfix too, tho that'll hopefully be less confusing
[09:21:00 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: hopefully... i sent out a few e-mails for the clearfix issue already so there's a start
[09:21:30 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> I think we'll probably need to schedule another meeting if we don't hear back, any thoughts on how long you want to wait?
[09:22:24 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> Justin_o perhaps send an email out monday for a meeting
[09:23:18 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: okay.. sounds like a plan
[09:28:37 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Morning
[09:28:45 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Anyone available to give me a little more info on the GSoC project "Accessible Visualizations with HTML5 and Infusion"?
[09:38:33 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> hey Buccolo , perhaps jessm. colinclark isn't on yet.
[09:39:11 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Thanks heidi_
[09:39:38 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Buccolo: you can also check with jameswy I think he will be mentoring that one
[09:39:46 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> Buccolo: jameswy is actually the mentor on that project. Do you have any particular questions?
[09:40:19 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Well, I'm very interested in it.
[09:40:34 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> I wonder if that image on the Atutor Wiki was a mockup, or is there something done already?
[09:40:44 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> (
[09:41:25 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Also, if anyone could point me to some easy-medium bugs to fix on Infusion, that would be really great.
[09:41:27 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> Hi Buccolo: that'd be a mockup, and something we're really interested in seeing implemented for GSoC.
[09:41:27 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Buccolo: as far as I know it's just a mockup at the moment
[09:41:52 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> That mockup is lovely (smile)
[09:42:16 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> Buccolo: yeah, it's a very nice mockup that jameswy did to demonstrate the Infusion framework
[09:43:06 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> Buccolo: Haha, thanks, (wink). Let me find you a link to the main mockups. Also, if you're interested in design, there's room for iterating on it for GSoC before implementation.
[09:44:00 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Alright jameswy. I'm currently looking for a way to start getting used to Infusion's code.
[09:44:14 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> is this it?
[09:44:14 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Have you got any tip?
[09:44:36 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Buccolo: if you are looking for bugs, they can all be found on our jira instance
[09:45:01 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> Buccolo: Here's the original thread from the mailing list on the framework demo design: (attachments at the bottom)
[09:45:05 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> i'm hunting around for some things that might be good to start with.. what sort of things are you interested in
[09:45:07 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> heidi_: Ah, that one too! Thanks, (smile)
[09:45:19 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Thanks guys (smile)
[09:45:39 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Justin_o: I could fix some bugs, I guess
[09:45:53 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> I've got classes this afternoon, but I'll be trying Infusion tonight.
[09:46:06 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> I'm Bruno by the way.
[09:46:16 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Nice to talk to you guys.
[09:46:40 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> Buccolo, anastasiac is our documentation lead on Infusion, and can point you to some great places to dig into learning Infusion.
[09:46:45 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Buccolo: thanks and welcome to the community... it's good talking with you too
[09:46:55 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> Buccolo: Great to meet you too.
[09:47:13 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Buccolo: are there any particular areas of interest that you have for bug fixes.. and what sort of experience do you have
[09:47:30 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> Buccolo, the main table of contents for Infusion docs can be found at
[09:47:36 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> I've been working on web development (php, sql, javascript) for about 3 years.
[09:47:59 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Recently I've been working with ExtJS, so big javascript chunks are not scary anymore (smile)
[09:48:27 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Interface Design, User Experience and InfoVis are my favorites.
[09:48:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> you might want to have a look at
[09:48:44 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> heidi_ has started a nice page on creating components, let me find the link...
[09:49:01 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> anastasiac ah, it's unfinished still!
[09:49:05 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> but might help somewhat
[09:49:13 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> heidi_, but it's already pretty good!
[09:49:17 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> (smile)
[09:49:21 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Buccolo: cool... i'll try to dig something up that might be interesting, but feel free to poke around our issue tracker as well
[09:49:28 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> Buccolo, you might find helpful
[09:50:11 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> Buccolo, we're in the process of revamping our documentation since we know it has some weaknesses. If you have any questions you can't find answers to, definitely feel free to ask in the channel or on the infusion-users mailing list
[09:51:06 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Okay! I'll be exploring around.
[09:52:48 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> I'll have a lunch break, then classes.
[09:52:51 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Talk to you later!
[09:53:02 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Buccolo: thanks for dropping by
[09:53:32 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> Thanks for helping me out.
[09:53:36 CDT(-0500)] <Buccolo> See ya.
[11:20:42 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: did you get the patch i sent you the yesterday
[11:21:23 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> Justin_o yes haven't applied it yet. you just changed the contents of the columns to be smething else?
[11:21:47 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: yep that's it... i think i'll take another look at it before soccer
[11:21:55 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> what else did you want me to look at again
[11:22:12 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> Justin_o all the issues i mentioned in the email (big grin)
[11:22:22 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> (smile)
[11:22:23 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> okay
[11:33:16 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: so i'm looking comparing your branch with the original from fss. you've set everything to have a width of 100%, before it was just containers, columns, and other floated elements
[11:33:40 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> sorry.. not other floated elements.. other elements marked as fl-linearEnabled
[11:33:53 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> Justin_o yeah the styles aren't quite right yet. feel free to change
[11:34:27 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> fl-linearEnabled needs to be put back in to for bwds compat... do you know why its there?
[11:34:55 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> i'm wondering if linearEnabled was to make other elements get treated like the cols and containers did
[11:35:12 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> and those were more generic styles for doing that
[11:35:21 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> i'll have to look at where we used it i guess
[11:35:38 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> that seems sort of confusing
[11:35:45 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> (smile)
[11:36:16 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> yes.. i think in general we are a bit confused at why it's there
[11:36:28 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> I wish jacob was around
[11:43:35 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: so interesting thing happens with the sakai integration demo
[11:43:54 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> if you take the fl-linearEnabled off, the buttons are laid out inline
[11:44:25 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> does it behave the same if you put in fl-layout-linear ?
[11:44:40 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> that's with fl-layout-linear set
[11:47:08 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: i think it's needed to clear out floats
[11:48:20 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> the .fl-button-left class floats them to the left..
[11:49:45 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> by setting the fl-linearEnabled, the content is still floated left but the block and width force them to be in a linear order
[11:50:36 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: it's just about to be soccer time.. i'll try to update the demo page after with some example of this
[11:51:10 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> cool
[11:51:22 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> have fun at soccer - watch yr glasses!
[11:53:43 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> heidi_: (smile) thanks for the warning, i'll try to stay away from mlam
[12:30:01 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> ping anastasiac.
[12:30:36 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> ^gone to soccer?
[13:31:35 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jhung, I'm back from soccer now (smile) and heading in to the dev meeting
[13:32:20 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> anastasiac: okay. We'll chat after that. Around 4p?
[13:32:33 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> jameswy: will you have time at 4p to join us as well?
[13:33:03 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jhung, sure, I'll check in with you when the dev meeting ends
[13:33:07 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> k
[13:33:08 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> jhung: I'm probably going to head off around that time. Fill me in tomorrow morning?
[13:33:21 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> jameswy: sure.
[13:38:28 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> fluid-everyone: dev meeting time!
[13:38:28 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> anyone want to be skyped in?
[13:38:31 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> michelled: What's the topic today?
[13:39:33 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jameswy: it will be short
[13:39:40 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> we'll talk about writing good JIRAs again
[13:39:50 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> and then we'll talk about the doc sprint
[13:40:00 CDT(-0500)] <jameswy> michelled: I'd like to lurk.
[13:47:13 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> michelled me too!
[13:54:05 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> HEllo everyone
[13:54:13 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> I am Bhavya Agarwal
[13:54:20 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> and I am from India
[13:54:41 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> hiya bhavya
[13:54:48 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> I am really keen to work on  Image Editor
[13:55:03 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Hi
[13:55:14 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> How can I contact the mentor
[13:55:38 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bhavya: the mentor is in this channel, michelled, but she's in a meeting right now so might not get back to you right away
[13:55:42 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> you're in the right place though!
[13:56:07 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> that's fine (smile)
[13:56:12 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> I can always wait
[13:56:15 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bhavya: to get some background check out the Decapod Project site:
[13:56:15 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> thanks!
[13:56:46 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bhavya: and from that page the work we're doing in our wiki:
[13:56:56 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> and i'm sure michelled will get back to you after the meeting
[13:57:07 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> getting to it
[13:57:13 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> thanks again !
[13:59:10 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bhavya: sure, no problem
[14:17:51 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> @jessm - can I have her email ID so that I can schedule a meet with her if that's possible
[14:22:21 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bhavya: let me pass it to you privately, this channel is logged
[14:22:34 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> there you go
[14:23:03 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> no problem
[14:36:07 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> so Bosmon, about needing better signposts for new people: When I said "if you have any ideas, that would be great," I hope you know I wasn't thinking you would write all the docs! I'm just thinking that since you know the framework best, you could sketch out the outline that people could fill in: what are the concepts to be learned first, second, where to go from there... such an outline would be helpful for other people who'd like to contribute d
[14:36:07 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> but don't know what to work on
[14:36:37 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> I imagine yura_ could also contribute to such an outline, from his perspective as our primary framework user
[14:37:17 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jhung, we're out of the dev meeting now, so I'm available whenever you'd like
[14:38:11 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> anastasiac: Sure. Skype?
[14:38:19 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> going online...
[14:39:03 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> anastasiac that was sort of what i was trying to do with my 'how to use infusion' page
[14:39:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> heidi_, yes, that page is a great start, that's exactly what I'm thinking
[14:39:36 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> unfinished but that trying to lead someone into things approach...
[14:39:52 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> i might work on it a bit tomorrow (smile)
[14:40:07 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> heidi_, I was hoping you'd say that (smile)
[14:40:13 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> hehe cool
[14:40:35 CDT(-0500)] <heidi_> it'd be great to have Bosmon's input too
[14:40:46 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> anastasiac: for tomorrow, can i do some wiki cleanup regarding our switch from svn to git.. so making sure things are updated.. like the coding and commits standards page
[14:41:13 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> Justin_o, that would be great - also some git best practices; the things that you and michelled have been coming up with
[14:41:25 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> anastasiac: ah okay... good idea
[14:41:33 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> something like the page we have for svn
[14:42:20 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Hi
[14:43:14 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I'm not sure I was really even talking about the "Framework" as such... but I suppose a lot of it comes down to that
[14:43:25 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> But I think that conversation with Eric really highlighted a big gap
[14:43:43 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Someone comes to us, and they need to be "led into" what to DO in a way which isn't unpleasant to them
[14:45:29 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: are you refering to working with us, or using our code in their own stuff?
[15:15:47 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> cindyli: wondering about the uploader test server you are writing, what happens if a file is uploaded twice/
[15:15:51 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> ?
[15:16:44 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: it will be renamed by appending a suffix number. for instance, "1.jpg" will be renmaed to "1-1.jpg"
[15:17:13 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: the next re-upload of "1.jpg" gets "1-2.jpg"
[15:17:27 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> and so on
[15:17:53 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> cindyli: okay.. we may need an easy way to cause errors to happen though, so that we can test that the uploader is doing the right thing when the server returns an error
[15:18:16 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> something that could be easily triggered by a tester
[15:18:45 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> who is running it against the daily build version, for example, and doesn't have access to the server code
[15:20:07 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: what does it mean "doesn't have access to the server code"?
[15:20:21 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> cindyli: (smile) good question...
[15:22:20 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> okay so lets say the release is coming up and we're in our testing phase. We're running through the test plan and one of the tasks is to make sure that when x happens that the uploader handles the error correctly. The tester is probably running this against the version served up by the daily build site
[15:27:58 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> cindyli: so i think we just need someway that a user can easily encounter an error.. as funny as that sounds
[15:28:26 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> so it could be that the server will reject duplicate files, for example, or we have some option that the user can select to reject files.. or something
[15:29:58 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: understand. what about by file type. right now at uploader initialization, i specified the file types that are allowed by uploader. what if we let server script controls this part. we remove the file types restriction from js, so the tester can uploader a non-image file to produce the error
[15:30:32 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> cindyli: hmm... interesting.. but we would also want to test that the uploader properly supports that feature
[15:31:22 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: =-O:-D
[15:31:59 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> (smile) so we would want the client to be able to work properly, and handle all it's cases the way it should
[15:32:10 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> i guess we need someway of faking a server error
[15:32:18 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> but in a predictable way
[15:32:52 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: ok, if that's the case, probably the easiest way is to reject the duplicate upload
[15:34:22 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> cindyli: okay... it's too bad, since it was a nice way to write your server code... (smile)
[15:34:55 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: haha, i agree. i will change the server code
[15:36:06 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> cindyli: thanks... i think that's about it before we can start looking at moving it over for regular use.. i guess it still needs code review and the build script too
[15:36:33 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> Justin_o: sounds good
[15:49:44 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Hello Everyone
[15:50:12 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bhavya: you're back
[15:50:33 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Hi jessm
[15:50:44 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Yeah, is michelle free right now
[15:51:04 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> hi bhavya
[15:51:10 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Hi michelle
[15:51:18 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> thanks for the reply
[15:51:33 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> np - it was nice to hear about the work you've been doing
[15:51:42 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Thanks
[15:51:52 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> (smile)
[15:51:55 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> I actually have all my codes back home in India
[15:52:06 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> but Ican develop a quickie app in Qt
[15:52:31 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> if you want and I can mail the Invisible Mouse to you in 1-2 days
[15:52:45 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> sure, that would be great
[15:53:04 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> also, the project I am working on is bound under an agreement
[15:53:19 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> understandable
[15:53:24 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> so sorry i would not be able to send it
[15:53:37 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> but I am really interested in this project
[15:53:48 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> I just need to learn HTML 5
[15:54:14 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> and I have 2 months for it
[15:54:33 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> ya - the application period only starts on March 28 (smile)
[15:54:44 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> it should be an interesting project to work on
[15:54:59 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> yean I know
[15:55:05 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> have you ever worked in an open source community before?
[15:55:19 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> no its my first year at GSOC
[15:55:27 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> but I worked in many projects
[15:55:44 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> one of the cool things about open source is having a community to work with and in
[15:56:33 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> we are a pretty friendly bunch here - jessm who you met before is our fearless project manager
[15:56:44 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i fear nothing!
[15:56:47 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> not really
[15:56:49 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> great!!
[15:57:02 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> FOSS rocks
[15:57:07 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> (smile)
[15:57:16 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> ya, it really does
[15:57:38 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> we've fairly recently moved our source to github so you can explore what we are working on
[15:57:52 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Ya sure
[15:57:54 CDT(-0500)] <michelled>
[15:58:07 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> that would be great
[15:58:27 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> feel free to hang out in the channel when ever you feel like it
[15:58:44 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> we often have short technical conversations in here and you can get a feel for the community
[15:58:45 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> sure!!
[15:58:51 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> ok
[15:59:35 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> i'll look into the project and mail you
[15:59:48 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thanks, that would be great
[15:59:56 CDT(-0500)] <bhavya> Thanks a lot for your support !!
[15:59:59 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> np
[16:01:18 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> anastasiac: i'm thinking i might need a reminder about our fab-u-lous doc sprint – shall we flood the channels?
[16:01:51 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, yes, I was just drafting a reminder email to the list - great minds...
[16:01:59 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> JINX
[16:02:04 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> (smile) awesome
[16:06:55 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> bhavya: I'm going to head out soon - do you have any other questions for me before I leave?
[16:07:03 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> you can always hop back in another day and ask them (smile)
[16:08:21 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> fluid-everyone: Don't forget about the Documentation Sprint tomorrow. Check in here in the channel, let us know what you'd like to contribute, get suggestions and answers to questions...