fluid-work IRC Logs-2013-04-01

[08:31:44 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: I filed a jira for the line spacing issue. http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-4959

[08:31:53 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> thanks jhung

[08:31:58 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Do you think this should be fixed before Jutta gives her demo heidiv?

[08:32:17 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung wasn't the demo last thurs? it would be nice to be fixed ya

[08:32:33 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung should be quick

[08:32:55 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: not sure. Jutta last email (3 minutes ago) made it sound like she was dmeoing tomorrow.

[08:33:26 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung gotcha. can you fix it?

[08:33:39 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: yep I can take a look now.

[08:33:44 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> thanks

[09:38:18 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: I sent a pull request for FLUID-4959.

[09:44:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> heidiv, jhung: I'm just catching up on the chat… Jutta's demo will indeed be tomorrow

[09:44:34 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'm looking forward to having stabilized our demo by the end of today so I can send her all the links she'll need to show our work off

[09:45:41 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> thanks colinclark. I think things are pretty much stable. Can we get a few volunteers this morning to help do some testing?

[09:46:17 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> ^fluid-everyone

[09:46:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Yes, for sure. I'm sure michelled can help coordinate that based on her roadmap for today.

[09:47:12 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Thanks colinclark

[09:48:17 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yzen1: How is it going today with self-voicing?

[09:50:45 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> colinclark: avtar and I are testing things out

[09:50:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> awesome

[10:00:32 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> coolness. I just discovered a bug with the show/hide tabs clipping text if using certain fonts. I'll try to fix this now. http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-4960

[10:07:41 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> michelled: cindyli just issued a pull request for the branch fixing the interaction between the TOC setting and the content simplification setting

[10:08:03 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx anastasiac and cindyli

[10:08:16 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark, michelled, yzen

[10:08:35 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> this is what yzen and i are trying right now http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6068139/google-translate-tts-problem

[10:10:34 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> jhung: the font icons change to text, when you change the font. after closing and opening "display preferences"

[10:11:15 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Is that cross browser arashs?

[10:11:29 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> let me try jhung

[10:12:22 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> seems cross browser arashs

[10:12:50 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> fluid-everyone: Interesting mobile usability article from the Nielsen/Norman Group: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-usability-cats/

[10:12:51 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> yes

[10:13:33 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> arashs: can you file a bug for this and set it as a blocker? I'm currently fixing the tabs, so if someone else can take this on, it would be great!

[10:13:58 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> sure jhung

[10:14:37 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> thanks arashs

[10:16:18 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung: was there something in particular that you wanted tested?

[10:17:37 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: just run through the demo code and identify anything that may look broken.

[10:17:52 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> cindyli: could you please help out with that testing?

[10:18:18 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> sure, michelled

[10:18:22 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: hopefully testing will be quick so we can do fixes ASAP.

[10:18:41 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jhung, could you confirm which URL we should be testing with? the build site? or demo.fluidproject.org?

[10:19:17 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> http://build.fluidproject.org/floe-infusion-demo/integration-demos/uiOptions/ClimateChange.html anastasiac

[10:19:26 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> k, thanks

[10:19:32 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> that's what I've been using since it's what Jutta will be showing.

[10:20:10 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> I thought avtar said demo.floeproject would be used for the official demo, jhung

[10:20:37 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yeah demo.floeproject.org will be the official demo

[10:20:43 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> but it isn't updated regularly

[10:20:44 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> +1

[10:20:52 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> so test off the build site until we do a final update (smile)

[10:21:05 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> ok, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification, michelled

[10:21:12 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> np

[10:23:31 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> michelled, jhung, what should we do with issues we find with the demo? (something like missing focus styling on one of the panels)

[10:23:37 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> post in the channel?

[10:23:39 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> file a JIRA?

[10:24:00 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> let's talk about them here first

[10:24:07 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> sounds like you've found one we'd want to fix

[10:24:22 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> no focus styling on the contrast panel

[10:24:34 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> so a JIRA followed by a pull request sounds good to me

[10:24:38 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> k

[10:29:46 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> fluid-work, jhung I filed a JIRA regarding the font-icon bug under FLUID-4961

[10:30:03 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> thanks arashs.

[10:30:12 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> np jhung

[10:30:27 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> michelled, jhung: another problem I've noticed is that tabbing through all the panels doesn't scroll all the way, so the last two panels never scroll into view. That seems broken, to me

[10:31:37 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> anastasiac: how have we fixed issues like this in the past? I recall the Reorderer having a similar issue with keyboard focus.

[10:32:33 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> fluid-everyone: the Fluid check-in meeting is about the start. Come join us https://connect.ocad.ca/fluid-work

[10:46:46 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yzen: so i'll hold off on any changes on my end then?

[10:48:48 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung i'll help with styling fixes… taking a look at 4960 now

[10:49:34 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> hi anastasiac yzen heidiv michelled cindyli arashs - if you start working on fixes please make sure there is a JIRA for the task, and that you assign the bug to yourself before starting work.

[10:49:48 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> avtar: ya it looks like there are 2 options now to avoid the referer: 1) run chrome in —no-referrer mode 2) deploy a little proxy server that we query instead of the google tts directly that will make sure no referrer is passed

[10:49:56 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> colinclark: ^

[10:50:32 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> This will help those of us working remote who can't see what other people are working on (helps avoid duplicating work too).

[10:53:32 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jhung, michelled: fyi, the issue with controls not scrolling into view is in Firefox, but not in Chrome

[10:54:02 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> anastasiac i'll work on adding focus to contrast panel

[10:54:26 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> heidiv, FLUID-4962?

[10:54:46 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> anastasiac n/m i see you are doing that (wink)

[10:55:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yzen: #2 sounds wise

[10:55:02 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> heidiv, if you're looking for work, you can do it, I'll take the next one

[10:55:07 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> ok

[10:55:09 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> it's all yours

[10:55:15 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> k

[10:55:52 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> colinclark: sounds good, avtar is it possible for you to host a little node server ?

[10:57:43 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yes

[10:58:23 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> will this server have to remain online after the demo tomorrow?

[11:00:08 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> good question avtar

[11:00:22 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> colinclark: how long do you think the demo site should be available?

[11:01:02 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> couple weeks, maybe

[11:01:20 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> what i'm hoping, long term, is that demo.floeproject.org can point to a page of "curated" demonstrations of Floe

[11:01:37 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> i.e. ultimately pointers to the daily build of UI Options, etc.

[11:01:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> if that makes sense

[11:02:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> meaning, this particular demo need only live as long as it takes us to get the code back into master

[11:02:14 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> rather than the catch all of the nightly build page

[11:02:24 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> which we should also clean up (wink)

[11:02:35 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> but should have pointers to everything we have going on

[11:02:46 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> am I understanding you colinclark?

[11:03:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yes, exactly

[11:03:16 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> getting self voicing into master might take a bit longer. it likely needs both design and dev iterations

[11:03:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yup

[11:03:35 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but i think we can start small with it and get it into master

[11:04:29 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> avtar: this likely means that we'll continue to need to host some version of this node server

[11:04:49 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: sent a pull request for FLUID-4960. https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion/pull/300

[11:04:57 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx jhung

[11:05:38 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung: I'm currently looking at your pull for 4959

[11:05:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> michelled, avtar: More importantly, this Node.js server will become a supported project repo in the medium term, and thus built daily, etc.

[11:05:53 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung: you want that to go in for the demo, right?

[11:06:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> We can consider this the "Floe self voicing server"

[11:06:43 CDT(-0500)] <system64> Hello Guys, I'm a GSoC aspirant, is it a good time to talk?

[11:06:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> with the simple REST API of /speak?text=phrase

[11:07:22 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and behind the scenes, post-demo, we'll provide pluggable "speech data sources" for Google TTS and the Festival engine

[11:08:12 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark, michelled: would it be ok if this server is moved to the nebula cluster after tomorrow's demo?

[11:08:18 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yup

[11:08:23 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> ok

[11:08:35 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> system64: sure, fire away

[11:08:43 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: yes. Those pull requests should be against the demo branch. I hope I did that right.

[11:09:07 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> you did jhung

[11:09:17 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> thanks michelled

[11:10:00 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> arashs: are you working on http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-4961?

[11:10:26 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> no jhung

[11:11:50 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> arashs: I'll take a look at that one now.

[11:12:11 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> thanks jhung

[11:15:13 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> alexn: if / when FLUID-4960 gets merged, it may help fix some issues with the show/hide tab.

[11:15:15 CDT(-0500)] <system64> colinclark: Thanks for reply. So I like working with all the cutting edge technologies. I was going through the ideas and found the WebRTC and Music Development Environment to be really interesting.

[11:15:48 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> system64: Glad to hear they interest you!

[11:16:08 CDT(-0500)] <alexn> jhung: thanks. Sounds good, I will keep it in mind.

[11:18:05 CDT(-0500)] <system64> colinclark: Are the ideas shortlisted by Google?

[11:19:07 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> system64: I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry. Shortlisted in what way?

[11:22:14 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> jhung fluid-work, Changing the "Line spacing" value effects the "emphasis links & buttons" box. I created FLUID-4964 regarding this issue.

[11:22:14 CDT(-0500)] <system64> After selection of organisation. How are the number of students decided?

[11:23:33 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> arashs: that issue was filed already as FLUID-4959. (smile)

[11:23:37 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> and it was fixed.

[11:24:24 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> system64: Google typically allots a certain number of students to an organization. I believe this is often based on the number of proposed projects and mentors an organization has, but we rarely get as many positions as we have project proposals.

[11:24:36 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> oh, great, (smile). sorry i missed it

[11:24:47 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> it's a good reminder for all of us to talk about issues in the channel first before filing jiras. (smile)

[11:25:10 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> (see michelled's comments earlier in the channel)

[11:25:33 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> good point

[11:30:43 CDT(-0500)] <system64> colinclark: So does Google itself shortlist the ideas?

[11:32:07 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> No, system64. They simply allocate a certain number of student positions to us. We then decide, based on the resources we're given and the applicants we end up with, which projects are the most viable.

[11:37:21 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> demo doesn't work at all in IE8 - self voicing js error. known issue?

[11:37:29 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> are we not worrying about IE8?

[11:38:08 CDT(-0500)] <system64> Thanks. I have decent experience with Web Technologies, how should I go about working on the ideas?

[11:39:44 CDT(-0500)] <system64> I don't really have a good background in Signal Processing, but I have always been fascinated and enjoyed working with Web Audio API. In the small experiments I have done.

[11:39:50 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: I don't think we are. Chrome primarily, am I right michelled?

[11:40:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I think the place to start is to dig into some of the examples and started points listed in the project ideas. In the case of the WebRTC project, get to know the WebRTC specification and how it works, and have a look at some of the recent tools that have been created such as SimpleWebRTC and conversat.io, for example. In the case of the music project, get to know how Flocking works and try it out. In both cases, you'll want to familiarize yourself wit

[11:40:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> the whys and hows of Infusion. There's documentation in the Fluid wiki that could serve as a starting point.

[11:41:30 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> heidiv, jhung: Currently the self-voicing feature is limited to browsers that support a) the HTML5 <audio> tag and b) MP3-formatted audio.

[11:41:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> IE8 supports neither of these

[11:41:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Firefox currently does not support b)

[11:42:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> as a result, the self-voicing feature is likely only going to work on Chrome, though I wouldn't be surprised if it also works in IE10.

[11:42:10 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I've asked Jutta to do her demo in Chrome.

[11:42:39 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> k, good to know

[11:42:42 CDT(-0500)] <system64> On the other hand, WebRTC Collaboration application was a project I had submitted in technical festival of my college. I used socket.io and GetUserMedia API to create realtime HTML5 Sketchpad.

[11:42:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> That sounds very cool, system64

[11:43:20 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and what kinds of demos have you created using Web Audio API?

[11:43:29 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> colinclark chrome mac ?

[11:43:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Jutta uses a Mac, yes

[11:44:08 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> arashs did you file a jira for font icons not working in chrome/win ?

[11:47:14 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> no heidiv, are they not working in chrome/win?

[11:47:26 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> no

[11:47:51 CDT(-0500)] <system64> colinclark: Nothing great, just played around with waves and frequencies. And tried to build a Equalizer in HTML5 Canvas.

[11:48:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> cool

[11:48:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Sounds like you're pretty well-equipped to do either project, system64

[11:48:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Do you have any experience with web accessibility?

[11:50:33 CDT(-0500)] <system64> collinclark: Thanks, not really. But I do keep track of all the best practices.

[11:50:40 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Cool

[11:51:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> It might be helpful for you to learn a bit about ARIA and a few of those core techniques for how you might make a user interface more accessible to a variety of people

[11:51:28 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Adding ARIA for assistive technologies and supporting navigation with the keyboard are the two main techniques

[11:51:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> There are now some interesting new techniques for making Canvas-based user interfaces more accessible, too.

[11:53:44 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> heidiv: are you using the default text style in chrome/win?

[11:54:20 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> arashs yes, are you able to replicate?

[11:55:06 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> what do you mean heidiv ?

[11:55:26 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> arashs are the icons missing for you in win/chrome

[11:55:41 CDT(-0500)] <system64> collinclark: I know a bit about Aria, mainly through the A11YProject (smile)

[11:56:37 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> that's great!

[11:56:56 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Sounds like you're really on the right track, system64

[11:57:10 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> I don't have access to win heidiv

[11:57:19 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> ok

[11:57:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> arashs: There are lots of Windows machines in the office

[11:57:38 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> there's one you can use in Bert's usability lab

[11:57:40 CDT(-0500)] <system64> Will check on how to make canvas-based interfaces more accessible, should be interesting.

[11:58:04 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> system64: It's quite an interesting topic. Let me know if you discover any good tutorials or resources.

[11:58:18 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> great, thanks colinclark

[11:59:00 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> heidiv: let me check with our win here

[11:59:12 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> i will let you know how it goes

[11:59:16 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> arashs great, yeah, it just shows ligatures for me

[12:15:22 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> heidiv: it works for me, although I just downloaded the latest chrome

[12:16:01 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> arashs mine is up to date too. i'm using winxp

[12:16:08 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> it also works on firefox, but not on IE9

[12:18:02 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> Im using windows 7

[12:21:24 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> arashs is there a jira already for a list of environments icon fonts don't work in? might be nice for reference. sounds like just IE and chrome/winxp?

[12:21:52 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung jira for vert scrollbars in webkit?

[12:22:27 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> gimme a sec heidiv

[12:23:02 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> np

[12:23:08 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> heidiv: I just tested it with a win xp, and it is not working

[12:23:16 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> you mentioned it before i think

[12:23:19 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> arashs ah, ok

[12:23:36 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> I guess xp might be the problem

[12:23:40 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: the vertical scroll bar isn't the problem. It's the horizontal scroll in webkit that's an issue.

[12:23:56 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Skype for a sec?

[12:24:01 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung but we shouldn't have a vert scroll at all, right?

[12:24:05 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> sure, one sec

[12:24:33 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: yeah… but it was actually a Mac System Preferences issue. http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-4956

[12:30:02 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: sent pull request https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion/pull/302

[12:30:12 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> i sent one too michelled

[12:38:55 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> cindyli are you working on FLUID-4965 ?

[12:39:22 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> ya, heidiv, have sent a pull request

[12:39:31 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> cindyli ok sweet

[12:39:41 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> should have updated the jira (smile)

[12:40:24 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> (wink)

[12:40:54 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> fluid-everyone: are there any issues uncovered during UIO Demo testing that has not been added to JIRA?

[12:41:15 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> not by me, jhung

[12:41:37 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> thanks anastasiac

[12:43:31 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung can i Skype w u re: tab size

[12:43:49 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> sure.

[12:47:46 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> lunch bbs

[13:10:36 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> michelled: sent a pull request - https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion/pull/304

[13:10:48 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx cindyli

[13:10:52 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> np

[13:30:20 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: I've added FLUID-4966 describing the horizontal scroll problem in webkit. For now the hack works, so maybe after the demo we can look at this together some time.

[13:30:40 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung sure, where can i see the hack?

[13:31:14 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> It's in the FatPanelUIOptionsFrame.html heidiv

[13:31:16 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> n/m , in the jira

[13:31:19 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> (big grin)

[13:31:20 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> k

[13:31:23 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> (wink)

[13:33:43 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung i removed the code to reproduce - def wacky

[13:35:31 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> yeah. Justin_o and I couldn't find an elegant solution. In the end we may have to restructure the markup.

[13:39:44 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung: there's been a lot of CSS changes and now there is conflict in this pull: https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion/pull/302

[13:40:02 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> I think I just keep all of it, but I'd feel more comfortable if you fit the conflict

[13:40:26 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> looking now michelled

[13:40:33 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx

[13:41:49 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> jhung we need to read more about role="presentation" … VO isn't ignoring reading the ligatures of the header icons

[13:42:00 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> i wonder if it's cos it's in a span or something...

[13:43:23 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> heidiv: ok. I'll dig into that too once I fix this pull request.

[13:44:12 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> it's not ignoring the contrast 'a's either, even w role=pres

[13:44:17 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> It seems to me that if we're finding that we need to put role="presentation" on our icon fonts in order, i.e. that we don't want the ligature text to be read for the icons, then we likely don't actually want to use ligatures at all in the long run, is that right?

[13:44:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I mean, why go to the trouble of using ligatures if in fact we never want that text to actually be perceived?

[13:46:00 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> colinclark agreed for the icons in the headers, but nice for other things… like the indicator arrow. and prob the 'next' arrow that will someday scroll the horiz window

[13:48:45 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ok, that's interesting

[13:49:10 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> it'd also be nice to know why role=pres isn't working, maybe it's voice over… or the element it's on

[13:50:48 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> the 'a's for contrast aren't icons, but still don't want them read.

[13:51:06 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: I've updated the pull request. Should be good to go.

[13:53:14 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx jhung

[13:56:47 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yzen: very cool! I just listened to part of demo (smile)

[13:56:57 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> michelled: it works (smile) no way (smile)

[13:57:13 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> the build should rebuild in a couple minutes and we'll be able to test the demo

[13:57:22 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> michelled: sweet

[14:02:15 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> http://www.atlassian.com/jirajr/

[14:02:21 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> it works yzen!

[14:03:43 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> fluid-everyone: take a listen! http://build.fluidproject.org/floe-infusion-demo/integration-demos/uiOptions/ClimateChange.html

[14:04:32 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> very nice (smile)

[14:04:43 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yzen: awesome

[14:05:31 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> avtar: thanks

[14:05:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> eek

[14:05:45 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> It's almost awesome

[14:05:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but she seems to have a tendency to read only the last portion of paragraphs

[14:06:04 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> it's almost a kind of dadaistic poetry

[14:06:47 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> anyone else experiencing this?

[14:08:07 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> how do I get it to work?

[14:09:51 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> req a particular browser?

[14:09:52 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> colinclark: it might be a product of several of us looking at the same time

[14:10:00 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> michelled: probably

[14:10:03 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> heidiv: Chrome

[14:10:12 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> right.

[14:10:22 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Didn't we talk about that, like, an hour ago?

[14:12:08 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> It appears to be just broken for me now

[14:12:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> perhaps lots of requests to the Google TTS server queuing up?

[14:13:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> in the Chrome Network panel, I can see a number of queries to the speech server are listed as Pending

[14:13:04 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> colinclark: i think that might be it

[14:13:12 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> damn

[14:13:39 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I assume the Google TTS server is somewhat cranky about a single client making such a large number of concurrent requests

[14:13:46 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: What OS does this VM run?

[14:13:55 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> ubuntu 12.04

[14:14:46 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'm wondering if we're going to have to switch to Festival real quick

[14:15:05 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Is there a package for it on Ubuntu? I'm assuming there is

[14:15:23 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/festival

[14:16:51 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> taking a look at that

[14:16:52 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> brb

[14:17:30 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yzen: What do you think?

[14:17:41 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> looking at it as well

[14:17:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'll make you a pastie of what my server did, just in case

[14:20:06 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yzen: http://pastie.org/7271575

[14:20:33 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> It's a somewhat odd design, in that it immediately reads the file into memory and deletes it

[14:20:47 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so I really don't imagine that it's particularly concurrency-friendly

[14:21:57 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> colinclark: so essentially the same issue as overloading the google tts /

[14:21:59 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> ?

[14:22:04 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Well, I guess it's a different issue

[14:22:10 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> My guess is that Google TTS is throttling us

[14:22:31 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Whereas, under load, we'd potentially bloat in terms of memory

[14:22:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Your Node chops are better than mine, so you might well be able to stream the file, then delete it

[14:24:52 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yzen: Is it something we should experiment with, assuming avtar can get us Festival installed?

[14:25:05 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> jessm: I'm not sure I know what you mean exactly

[14:25:33 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> colinclark: if i send a message to the list, i don't actually get my own message, but it does go to the other list members

[14:25:47 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i did say it badly

[14:25:58 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> that makes sense to me

[14:26:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> you want to receive your own messages to the list?

[14:26:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> jessm: Does this work for you? http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/node23.html

[14:27:24 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> colinclark: yes, on the individual case, but i need it on the admin case, so i can choose it as a default for everyone

[14:28:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> That I don't know

[14:29:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> you really want to set it for everyone?

[14:29:52 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> colinclark: yes i believe so

[14:29:56 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> and here's what worries me

[14:30:06 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i think it is that way by default, but the list isn't behaving that way

[14:30:22 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> it's called the "not metoo" – leave it to geeks to make a default selection a negation

[14:30:36 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> not metoo – Does the member want to avoid copies of their own postings?

[14:30:50 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> curious

[14:30:51 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> so, i assume that means √ not metoo if you want to avoid the copies

[14:30:59 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> you've certainly done as much research as I have, jessm

[14:31:10 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> not reassuring

[14:32:04 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> colinclark: here's teh kicker – it's unchecked by default so we should all be getting them but we aren't

[14:32:47 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> avtar: was there something different about the creation of the globalprefs list?

[14:32:54 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> avtar: vague, i know

[14:33:19 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> err

[14:33:24 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> (smile)

[14:34:08 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> jessm: i'll take a look

[14:34:53 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark, yzen: i installed festival 2.1 on that vm

[14:35:11 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> clown: do you want to try connecting now?

[14:35:11 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> avtar: will you be able to share it ?

[14:35:51 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung: I've caught up with pull requests

[14:35:56 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yzen: share what?

[14:36:09 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> awesome michelled!

[14:36:10 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> avtar: later, not important or urgent

[14:36:36 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung: are there still outstanding things that you feel we should fix?

[14:37:02 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Not on my end michelled but I want to make sure I didn't miss something others have reported.

[14:37:13 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> avtar: oh you mean the amazon one ?

[14:37:44 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yes

[14:38:13 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> cindyli: is FLUID-4965 still being worked on?

[14:38:41 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> anastasiac: ^

[14:38:52 CDT(-0500)] <cindyli> no, jhung, a pull request has been sent for 4965

[14:38:53 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> hmm maybe easier if we skyped everyone or met in the Connect room to talk over the Jiras?

[14:39:28 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> cindyli and I are working on FLUID-4963

[14:39:51 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> i'm testing w screen readers and reading up on role=pres

[14:42:08 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> So michelled, heidi, cindyli, and anastasiac have the last pieces of work. I assume yzen is continuing on self-voicing?

[14:42:21 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yeah

[14:42:29 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So yzen, can I help somehow?

[14:43:35 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> colinclark: well ill try installing, see if i can get it run

[14:43:37 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> anastasiac, cindyli, heidiv: do you expect to have pull requests ready soon?

[14:43:58 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> It's not entirely a trivial install process, yzen, though it's not difficult

[14:44:00 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> no, we're not having much luck with the scrolling issue

[14:44:07 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> if you have a Linux VM kicking around, you may find it easier to test with it

[14:44:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> You'll have to build it from source, but fortunately it builds cleanly and you need only follow their steps

[14:44:35 CDT(-0500)] <heidiv> michelled not sure

[14:45:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> If it helps, yzen, I can zip up the folder where I had everything downloaded and built

[14:45:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> you may even just be able to run a "make install" on it, I don't know

[14:45:33 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> colinclark: that will help

[14:46:25 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yzen: it might be easier if we try this with vagrant and your own instance of ubuntu 12.04

[14:46:42 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> i can help if you want to skype

[14:47:30 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> avtar: when ever you get a moment, could you update the floe demo site? I like to get some eyes on it with the current code base

[14:47:34 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> Hi, this is Sai! , I'm here to verify something about the idea, 'CMS Plugins for Infusion Components'.

[14:48:24 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> avtar: that was basically my very first question (smile)

[14:50:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yzen: While you guys are working on that, I'm just uploading my builder folder for Festival to Dropbox for you

[14:50:18 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> slooooowly

[14:50:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> be about 15 minutes, thanks to my blazingly fast connection

[14:51:40 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> Umm, it is about creating plugins for incorporating infusion components into a CMS; I am excited about this, but would it be a great idea to work on a static site, blog-aware generator like jekyll, I mean would systems like jekyll be considered a CMS?

[14:52:46 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> jhung: Was this one of the projects you and justin_o came up with? Can you comment?

[14:54:38 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> Also, hello everybody! (smile)

[14:55:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Hi brick__

[14:55:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'm pretty sure this was Justin_o's project idea

[14:55:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and he's away today

[14:55:15 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> colinclark and brick__: The GSoC projects justin_o and I are mentoring is the story boarder.

[14:55:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> But in general, I think we could accommodate site generators, too

[14:55:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I think the core goal of the project is to ensure that Infusion components are broadly available in the places people go to create web sites

[14:55:56 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> I see, it would be great to discuss the breadth of the idea with them.

[14:56:44 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> Yes, to state, jekyll is in fact, a widely used static blog generator...

[14:56:53 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yup, I'm familiar with it

[14:57:51 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> May I know who suggested the above idea?

[14:58:08 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> 'CMS Plugins for Infusion Components'?

[14:58:12 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> As I say, I think it was Justin_o, who is away today

[14:58:22 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but he'll be around later in the week

[14:59:28 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> brick__: justin_o will be in tomorrow.

[14:59:59 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> I'm afraid, you might have missed what jhung said; that justin_o's idea was Storyboarder; but if you haven't, may be, he could have suggested this also.

[15:00:08 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> Thanks jhung. (smile)

[15:00:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> brick__: The latter is the case, yes. Justin_o proposed several project ideas for us.

[15:01:38 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> I have been playing with jekyll for quite a while now, I love it's simplicity. You got to love editing just the text files for a new post. (smile)

[15:02:22 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> I see; I will be here tomorrow then; thanks a lot guys. (smile)

[15:03:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> no problme

[15:03:32 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> BTW, how about you check out my jekyll site? Nothing great there, but makes me happy to share it: fatman.in

[15:04:05 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> cool, brick__

[15:04:14 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> thanks for sharing

[15:04:27 CDT(-0500)] <brick__> Thanks, Colin! (smile)

[15:38:41 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> avtar, yzen: how's it going?

[15:38:58 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> michelled: i think yzen is set up now

[15:39:14 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> avtar: were you able to update the demo site?

[15:40:36 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> michelled: it's been updated

[15:40:44 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx avtar!

[15:41:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> michelled: So we're deployed with the Google version for now?

[15:42:28 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yep, colinclark

[15:42:35 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> excellent, great

[15:42:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> thanks

[15:42:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'll send JT a note with all the URLs tonight

[15:42:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yzen: Text me if you need a hand; I can help with some code

[15:43:03 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung, anastasiac: can you take a look at the actual demo site now? http://demo.floeproject.org/integration-demos/uiOptions/ClimateChange.html

[15:43:19 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> let's just verify that it's got the things on it we expect

[15:43:26 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> sure michelled

[15:47:35 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: took a quick spin in Chrome and FF mac and everything looks okay so far.

[15:47:49 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Going to check Windows now quickly

[15:49:05 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx jhung

[15:51:50 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> jhung: do you need help with checking the demo on windows browsers?

[15:52:56 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> arashs: I just did it quickly and it looks okay. Thanks for the offer.

[15:53:17 CDT(-0500)] <arashs> no problem jhung

[15:53:20 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: the only oddity are vertical scroll bars that show up on Chrome Windows.

[15:53:56 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> ok, I think we're good then

[15:54:06 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> For the demo, Jutta should follow the instructions according to this Jira http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-4956

[15:54:13 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> ^michelled colinclark

[15:54:27 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> this will hide the vertical scroll on Mac.

[15:54:41 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> jhung: can you send that to colin in email too? just in case he doesn't read the logs

[15:54:48 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> sure

[15:55:08 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> the only fixes that might go in now are related to self voicing

[15:58:34 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: email sent.

[16:00:09 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx jhung

[16:03:31 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> michelled: I'm going to head offline shortly. Are we okay for the demo?

[16:03:43 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yep, I think we're looking good

[16:03:49 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> have a good evening jhung

[16:04:34 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> thanks michelled. See you tomorrow.

[16:09:08 CDT(-0500)] <yzen> michelled: i started working on the branch https://github.com/yzen/demo-tts-proxy/tree/SPAWN cant try it without avtar so will try later on today

[16:10:29 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> ok yzen

[16:10:32 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx