(SJRK) November 7, 2017 Partners Meeting


  • Alan

  • Dana

  • Gregor

  • James

  • Liam

  • Michelle

  • Pilar & Hector


James’ PhD work

  • Assistive technology is a human right

  • We need a system that allows people to participate holistically

  • People with a wider range of needs and preferences

  • Needing to “qualify” to get government subsidy keeps the price high for AT

  • Unlocking potential - give everyone the opportunity to work, to acquire skills

IDRC Update

  • Dana and Alan have been focusing on Oak report


  • Next steps to disbursing resources to the partners?

  • Will this go directly to bookkeeper or does Liam need to plan to put time to it?

  • ok - I've just reviewed the msg and that is all clear to me - next step (for round 1) is for Silvia to send an invoice and the transfer details to us

  • then for the second round distribution will be based on OCAD's approval of deliverables

  • another question I have - based on the report that you are currently compiling, are there ways that we could structure our work to make reporting easier for the next round?

  • (this is largely the same as what we are currently discussing)


  • Money will be sent directly to James

  • It took about a week from the time the contract was signed to getting money to TIG

  • James’ signed contract was sent on Tuesday

  • If no update by end of this week, let us know

  • Can we have a workshop on financial reporting on complying with OCAD/IDRC requirements

  • Sending money to UWEZO - need them to comply?

  • We’ll ask Iris if she can provide some guidelines

Reporting and Framing of work

  • Thinking through the “lens” of learning difference

  • Testimonials from youth directly are great

  • More qualitative in this way - rather than quantitative metrics

  • Jutta’s paper about learning difference in the classroom

  • Stories about mismatch between student’s needs and the education system (understanding why) - and how we can re-engage them through inclusive design

  • Need to understand why, so you know what not to do in social justice movements

  • Does “young person” refer to a specific age range or group?

    • In Alan’s experience with library science, 15-29 was a commonly-accepted range, but we may not want to lay out a specific definition

    • For groups like UWEZO who self-describe as youth-led, that may be enough

    • What about those youth with learning differences who are not a part of those organizations?

    • For those at the margins, the youth transition will tend to be long, they may not fit strict age ranges

    • Alan will ask Jutta if there is a definition that we can use for the contexts that the partners are working in, for those projects’ purposes

    • Or if the Oak Foundation has any specific definition

  • For the report, whatever artifacts the partners can send to us (video, pictures, audio, presentation slides, etc.) would be very helpful, even if it isn’t fully-polished work.

    • Perhaps we could have a shared folder where everyone can deposit the materials they have to share. Alan will look into this

Pilar and Hector

  • Meeting with Alex from Platohedro

  • Currently have a pilot’s strike so had to change meeting plans, Juliana was hoping to go there

  • Will try to meet in December


  • What technologies are young people using now? How can they be improved?

  • Consider disaster preparedness and emergency response systems

    • For those who are normally vulnerable, they are even more vulnerable in the case of a disaster

    • The traditional methods of communication and connection are not available

    • How do emergency response systems decide whom to help first, from an inclusive perspective?

    • How do you reach groups like youth who are marginalized?

    • A dynamic environment

    • There is no “natural” disaster - a hazard becomes a disaster when people’s resilience is very low

  • Maps and social cartography in Colombia