Open Source Authoring platforms
Goal: to simplify the authoring of inclusive EPUB 3
What features of inclusive EPUB 3 should be supported?
- Media Overlays - i.e. simplify recording, marking up of overlaid sections of text, building of manifest
- Accessibility Metadata - marking of modalities and other a11y information for content inside the EPUB (i.e. add a11y MD to videos and scripts)
- Scripting - perhaps marking up of scripts for a11y metadata.
- Text-to-speech - not supported by most readers, but maybe something to investigate through Daisy?
- Packaging and building EPUB - an automated or interactive mechanism that takes contents and builds an EPUB with relevant metadata and manifest info.
Possible extend an existing authoring platform to add some inclusive features.
- OpenStax CNX
- Calibre / Sigil plugin
- OER Commons